1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Stacey Bowers, marketing and communications director at Thea Foundation by day, designer/owner of Bang-Up Betty by night. I grew up in North Little Rock and have lived in downtown Little Rock for about 5 years.
2. You grew up here, moved to Louisiana for college and then moved back. What has surprised you most about living in LR as an adult? Teenage angst Stacey always saw herself moving somewhere glamorous when she grew up, but adult Stacey is pretty happy in Little Rock. Plus, starting a business in your hometown really has its perks. People know you and want to support you and share what you’re doing. Shout out to all the local Bang-Up Betty fans!
3. You're known for your handmade jewelry with a surly flair. Who or what in LR inspires your creations? My smart, feisty, feminist friends always inspire me and often lead me to new successes. I’m also inspired by local causes, like Arkansas Women’s Outreach and Lucie’s Place, and politics (or the fight against them).
4. What is, hands down, your favorite meal you can only get here? I would eat the chicken fried cauliflower steak at South on Main until I swelled up, turned into a giant cauliflower and had to be rolled away, preferably into a river of onion gravy.
5. It's a random Saturday -- what's on your agenda? Boulevard Bread Co. is a quick walk away, so I go there for breakfast and coffee. I’ll probably pop into Moxy Modern Mercantile and The Green Corner Store to check on the jewelry I have for sale there. Then I’ll head home, open all the blinds, and stamp jewelry and enjoy the sunlight for a while. I’ll probably do yoga, then visit my adorable parents in Sherwood. On the way back to Little Rock, I’ll stop at Argenta Bead Company and look for inspiration, then Diamond Bear or Flyway to read and drink for a little bit. If I feel like treating myself, I’ll have dinner and cocktails at South on Main or Raduno. I’ll probably head home early, but if I don’t, it’s because Collin vs. Adam is playing at White Water Tavern.
In the spirit of the day, Stacey's Smash the Patriarchy collection is 20% off at bangupbetty.com. Pick up a hammer and join the cause.