Epiphany Morrow wears a lot of hats, but they all sit on the head of one of Little Rock's most renowned entertainers.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: So, I'm Epiphany Morrow, known as Piph, Big Piph or the occasional Chane--or "just like your father" from mom dukes. Nowadays, I say I'm a "lifestyle artist," as it kinda covers the rapping, hosting, promoting, writing and other entertainment-like duties I tend to get into. Recently, I have been called a philanthropist as well.
As for The Rock, I've been here now for about 8 years. I stayed downtown off of Main for a little bit, people's couches (if they cooked), and am now in Hillcrest.
2. What has surprised you the most about living in Little Rock? That it's had for me for so long. Not that it's necessarily great for Little Rock, but since I tend to be of the nomadic variety--I figured I would've bounced somewhere else by now. Or, even more so, that I would have wanted to bounce by now, but--honestly--I'm kosher. I like my hometown spot; I just dip out frequently.
3. What is, hands down, your favorite meal you can only get in Little Rock? I get this pork chop sandwich, fries, with vegetable combo at Sweet Soul that tends to hold me down. I explored the world of the fried portions early on, but since have refined my tastes to the delectable grilled variety as well. Bliss. And if I've sold 2 CDs in the past week, I partake of their pound cake as well. I also love The Veg.
4. It's a Saturday -- what's on your agenda? Truthfully, I'm probably performing or involved in some type of social engagement. Rapping, hosting, or supporting a partner-in-crimes event at Stickyz, Rev Room, 521, private functions, and wherever else doesn't have me banned at the door.
And truthfully, when I'm not supposed to be at an event, I'm at the crib on the state exclusive Netflix or Redbox with a Shotgun Dan's pizza box on the belly.
5. Finish this sentence: My perfect evening in Little Rock involves...There's that sweet spot in the weather here that happens twice a year and it's just perfect. No jacket needed and no sweat occurs if you keep at a chill pace. And at these times, I just like being outside. Walking. Sitting. Conversing with cool folks. Whatever. The air in Arkansas is so taken for granted that I try to let my lungs savor it when they can.
A few reserved tables are still available to see Big Piph perform this Friday, January 27, at South on Main, by calling by calling (501) 244-9660.