Food blogger and Twitter junkie Kevin Shalin is a welcomed addition to Little Rock.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Kevin Shalin; freelance food writer/high school substitute teacher/Mr. Mom; 2 years; West Little Rock.
2. What inspired you to start your food blog, The Mighty Rib? Truthfully, it was one meal at Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in Kansas City about four years ago. My experience was so inspiring that I went back home to Houston (where I was living at the time) and started a food blog the very next day. I remember sitting in front of my computer early in the morning, wondering what the heck I'd call this blog. About 30 seconds later, The Mighty Rib popped into my head...the perfect tribute to an amazing meal.
3. What is, hands down, your favorite meal you can only get in Little Rock? This is an easy one...the Spicy Chicken and Dumplings at The Southern Gourmasian food truck. I've been to many food trucks all around the country, and I've yet to come across anything produced at a mobile eatery that's as unique and delicious as this dish. I really hope the people of Little Rock appreciate what Chef Patterson and his crew are doing at TSG.
4. What activities do you enjoy when you're not writing about or eating food? I absolutely love sports and art. I could sit around and watch football or baseball or basketball all day long. My dad was a basketball coach, so I've been around sports my entire life. As for art, one of my favorite things to do in Little Rock is to walk around Gallery 26 in Hillcrest and check out all the latest works by our local artists. We have such talented artists in this town and Gallery 26 does such a wonderful job featuring many of them.
5. Finish this sentence: My perfect evening in Little Rock involves...heading across the river for an Arkansas Travelers game...staying 4 or 5 innings and then finishing the evening at South on Main. I'd knock back an Old Fashioned and polish off some appetizers like the trotters and grilled oysters. If I'm lucky, they'll even be some music playing that night. For me, that's as good as it gets in this town!