Four years ago, Nick Rogers gave the world a beautiful gift: the inaugural World Cheese Dip Championship. More than 6,000 people were served 225+ gallons of cheese dip and and all was right in the world and in the metro area.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Nick Rogers; Founder of the World Cheese Dip Championship; I've been in Central Arkansas for most of my 34 years, with some occasional breaks for college, law school, and internships. I'm currently back in my old stomping grounds of Dogtown until fall when I move to Georgia to begin a PhD program.
2. What kind of outdoor activities do you enjoy? I'm usually in some kind of sports league -- ultimate, tennis, baseball, or (if a team is especially desperate for bad players) soccer. The fields at Burns Park are immaculate -- we're so lucky to have one of the two or three largest municipal parks in the country over here on the north side of the river.
3. If you could only eat at one local restaurant for a month, what would it be? I think the smart pick is Red Door. Their menu is a mashup of several of the owner's former restaurants, so there's an eclectic variety that would be difficult to tire of, over the course of the month. As soon as the 30 days was up, I'd probably hustle over to Capital Bar & Grill or chase down the Southern Gourmasian truck.
4. It's a Saturday -- what's on your agenda? Is it football season in this hypothetical? If not, then I'm in an emotional hibernation until it is. Lately I've been kinda into this retro arcade in Sherwood called Z82. You pay seven bucks to get in, and then all the 20-some-odd classic games are free. Just TRY and beat my score at Missile Command. The only drawback is that they don't serve beer; but I'm assured that they're working on it every time I grumble about it.
5. Where do you make sure to take out-of-town guests when they visit? Renting bikes and riding the River Trail is a great introduction to the city. And leading your own Tour of Cheese Dips makes sure your visitor returns home full and educated.
The 2014 World Cheese Dip Championship benefiting Harmony Health Clinic will be held Saturday, October 25, 2014 at Bernice Gardens. The countdown has begun.