Arkansas Film Festival Communications Director Mallory Nickels wears many stylish hats.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Mallory Nickels, I'm the Co-Owner Peridot Boutique. I've been in Arkansas my whole life but in Little Rock for 5 1/2 years and I love living in Hillcrest.
2. What inspired you to start a small business in LR? I've always heard that if you love what you do then it's not really work. I developed a strong interest in clothing in junior high school which only increased as I got older. My husband and I started a blog a few years ago that was a great outlet to creatively express myself through fashion, but I still wanted to take things farther. Being involved in the Little Rock Film Festival has exposed me to so many creative, talented people who really went after what they wanted. It inspired me to do the same thing!
3. What have been your three favorite recent style finds in LR? My most recent purchase was a T-shirt for a local band (Amasa Hines) that I keep dressing up by pairing it with trousers or a blazer and heels. I love the design and the fact that I get to support some local talent. I also recently rediscovered a long pendant necklace from Angel Court Jewels (founded by a former Little Rockian whom we recently lost to Atlanta--boo!) that I love throwing on with everything. I never leave the house without my Alicia jacket from (where else?) Peridot Boutique!
4. If you could dress/style any local figure, who would it be? Not that she needs any help, but I've always thought Arkansas First Lady Ginger Beebe was adorable (not to mention stylish) and would be fun to have a styling session with!
5. It's a random Sunday -- what's on your agenda? A random Sunday definitely involves brunch at B Side (I love the granola and "fruit on the bottom" parfait) or quiche and pao de queijo at Bossa Nova. After that we like to just walk with our dogs around the neighborhood. Lately we like to stop in River City Coffee and grab something to go to keep our hands warm on the walk. In the Spring, Summer and Fall when the weather is nice it seems like there's always something going on in Hillcrest like the Etsy Indie Arts & Music Festival, Harvest Fest, or the Farmer's Market and new things are constantly popping up!
Put on your red carpet duds from Peridot Boutique and head down to the LRFF this week to catch some of the best in Arkansas (and beyond!) cinema. Visit littlerockfilmfestival.org for a schedule and full event information.