Service before self is the bedrock that motivates Robby Matthews to make Little Rock a better place for those who are unable help themselves.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Robby Matthews; My full-time gig is Digital Engagement Manager at Heifer International, I volunteer as Communications Person and Board Member for The Rock of Hope, and I also do freelance digital marketing and web design; I have lived in Little Rock 12 years, with brief stints in Jacksonville, Jonesboro and Pensacola Beach, FL; I am a proud two-time graduate of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and have taught at the UALR College of Business as an adjunct in the Marketing department. I currently live in Capital View with my dog Maggie, though I have also lived in Quapaw Quarter, the River Market, Kingwood and Riverdale.
2. How did you get involved with Rock of Hope? I helped setup and run an emergency shelter for Little Rock’s homeless community during a snowstorm in January 2011 at Canvas Community, a church downtown. John Ripa (ROH's Chairman and CEO) and I got to know each other while working the overnight shifts. He and two other volunteers (Jim Garrett and Ruthanne Murphy) began The Rock of Hope later that year as an all-volunteer group working to end homelessness one person at a time. It is still all-volunteer and I was fortunate enough to join the board helping with communications and business strategy when I returned from Pensacola Beach in 2012.
3. If you ate a different meal at a different local restaurant for a day, what would they be? Breakfast would be The Root for the sweet potato hash. My favorite lunch is Hanaroo for sushi. For dinner, I would go to Iriana’s for a Sweep the Floor.
4. It's your day off -- what are you up to? Saturdays, if the weather is nice, I’m paddle-boarding. I also like to go see my family. Friday and Saturday nights are spent either playing music or watching it at Stickyz, Rev Room or White Water Tavern. Sunday nights I play on two soccer teams in the adult league at Burns Park.
5. Finish this sentence: I love Little Rock because...it is big enough to have a lot to do, but small enough to still feel like a community that is concerned about helping one another
Rock of Hope is a faith-based organization focused on eliminating homelessness one life at a time in Central Arkansas by creating a network of love and support for our homeless friends. We work directly with expert service providers to help participants achieve a sustainable exit from homelessness.
Volunteers are the bedrock of Rock of Hope. We welcome people from all walks of life with a flexible program that can meet your schedule preferences. There are a variety of ways for you to give your time, talents and experience. If you’d learn more about Rock of Hope, our mission, and how you can make a positive change in the lives of our homeless neighbors, please email Robby Matthews at email@example.com or call him at 501-413-7774.