In addition to being just about one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, Matt Bell serves up some tasty vittles at his Little Rock hotspot, South on Main.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Matthew David Bell; chef/owner South on Main; 8 years in Argenta
2. You're obviously a foodie. If you ate a different meal at a different local restaurant for a day, what would you eat? I would start with breakfast at Starlite Diner (just closed: sad face). I would grab a burger or pork chop sandwich at K Hall and Sons. Dinner is a little harder but right now I would have to go to Rosalinda's and get Pork Papusas with Fried Plantains.
3. It's your day off-- what's on your agenda? Sunday is my one day off from the restaurant. My agenda is to spend as much time with my wife as possible. This can usually mean paying Rummy51. We keep a forever score card where Amy is always ahead.
4. Where do you make sure to take out-of-town guests when they visit? I am planning this right now for one of my friends, Buddy Cowart, who is coming to town from Missoula, Montana (my hometown). I really want to take him to HB's BBQ, Lassis Inn and of course Midtown Billiards.
5. What has surprised you the most about living in LR? My biggest surprise in Little Rock has been how genuine the hospitality is--it is truly part of the south and really impresses me. I think Arkansans hold this value close.