Matt DeCample wears many hats, but the one I think we like best is subtle funny guy.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Matt DeCample, Governor Beebe’s Communications Director, 14 years, Stifft Station.
2. Other than being interviewed for your first job in LR, had you ever been here before? What has surprised you most about living here? My interview for KATV was the first time I set foot in Arkansas. I expected this to be a two-year stop. The biggest surprise has been not only that I’ve spent seven times that here so far, but also the amazing range of things I’ve experienced during that time.
3. Your job has allowed you to meet all sorts of interesting people around the state. Has anyone in Little Rock made a bigger impression on you than most? Will I get fired if I don’t say Mike Beebe? Actually, I know he won’t mind me saying this. While my job means I have worked for and with the most prominent people in Arkansas, the biggest impressions are sometimes still the early ones. So, if I had pick one person, it would be the late, great Paul Eells. He wasn’t a native Arkie either, but working with “The Nicest Man in Arkansas” for my first three years in Little Rock, I learned quickly the best ways to interact with all kinds of people in the South.
4. What is, hands down, your favorite meal you can only get in Little Rock? I’m no foodie, so anywhere I live, I seek out the best local burgers and Italian food. In Little Rock, that means The Capital Bar and Grill, Big Orange’s turkey burgers, and the lasagna at Vesuvio or The Pantry. Don’t make me pick between those two.
5. Where do you make sure to take out-of-town guests when they visit? As long as the weather’s nice, we’re going to be walking around the River Market and Hillcrest. And probably swing by The Capitol. Possibly the Governor’s Mansion. And hopefully they’ll see some improv.
Where can you find me, besides work? Every Wednesday night doing improv just over the bridges at The Joint in Argenta. At The PUBLIC Theatre on occasional weekends (check improvlittlerock.com for future dates). Also letting my random mind wander on Twitter, @decample.
Catch The Joint Venture's weekly improv performance at The Joint tonight at 8:00 p.m., 301 Main Street in North Little Rock’s Argenta District, $7.