An educational product of both the University of Arkansas and UALR, Chuck Welch is now the Pack Leader for Arkansas State University System and is having a howl of a good time in Little Rock.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Dr. Charles (Chuck) L. Welch, II; President, Arkansas State University System; Three years in Little Rock; Chenal Valley.
2. Let's get the big one out of the way first ... how does a Razorback reconcile being a professional Red Wolf? While I am a proud graduate of the University of Arkansas and I still root for the Razorbacks to be successful, I have fallen in love with Arkansas State University and what we are building. As a native of Jonesboro, I grew up around A-State and always realized that limitless possibilities existed for the university. To be able to lead my hometown university is a dream come true. We are making incredible strides as we build all aspects of the university, and I proudly declare myself a Red Wolf and have never had a more satisfying professional opportunity than I do at A-State.
3. What is, hands down, your favorite meal you can only get in Little Rock? This is an incredibly difficult question as we are blessed with so many good restaurants and meals in Little Rock. I guess I would have to say a steak, French fries, and tamales from Doe’s. The atmosphere and the food are simply hard to beat.
4. It's a the weekend -- what's on your agenda? Whatever is on the agenda of my three daughters is usually what is on my agenda! During the fall we are often away at Red Wolves football games. When we are home, we enjoy going out to eat, going to the library, taking the girls to the mall, going to the movies, and just being together as a family. Little Rock has so many wonderful opportunities for family outings and being able to spend time with my wife and girls is treasured time for me.
5. Where do you make sure to take out-of-town guests when they visit? I try to take all of our guests to the Clinton Library first. Regardless of one’s political affiliations, we are fortunate to have a presidential library in our city and need to share this wonderful facility. After visiting the library, we enjoying taking our guests to the River Market and enjoying the restaurants and outdoor activities offered in this growing and vibrant part of our city.
It’s rivalry time. Catch both the men's and women's basketball teams from UALR and ASU battle it out this Saturday at the Jack Stephens Center in Little Rock. The women tip-off at 4:30 p.m. and the men's game begins at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available here. See you there?