Ashley King wakes up Little Rock, sends us to work and keeps us company all morning long.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Ashley King, Radio Host of The Morning Routine with Ashley & Drew on The Point 94.1. My first stay in Little Rock was short-lived in 1999. Career opportunities took me and my husband to Jonesboro and Knoxville, Tenn., before coming back to Little Rock 2.5 years ago. I have never felt more at home than I do now in Midtown, Little Rock!
2. What has surprised you the most about living in Little Rock? I think that Little Rock is more culturally diverse than people realize. Having lived in East Tennessee for almost 10 years, I know that people outside of Arkansas have a completely stereotypical idea of Little Rock. "Do we wear shoes?" "Do we have to kill all of our food ourselves?" I'm glad that Little Rock is a great "Southern Secret." Our size, food, music, shopping and people are what make this town so great! Growing up in the small town of Clinton, just about an hour north of Little Rock, we visited Little Rock often. However, I didn't expect to feel a sense of "home" so strongly once we moved here. Living in Little Rock just feels like a perfect fit for my family.
3. What is, hands down, your favorite meal you can only get in Little Rock? This is tough! There are so many great local places to grab a bite. I go through phases where a veggie burger from Big Orange is all that I crave. Then shrimp enchiladas from Las Palmas are a favorite. I also love a great Salad Supreme and Pizza from U.S. Pizza. Not too many places can top The Zaza from Zaza's However, if I could only choose one... I don't think I could! It would be a tie between Maddie's Place and Sonny William's Steak Room.
4. It's a random Saturday -- what's on your agenda? If the weather is nice, my husband and I love to take our three daughters to the Little Rock Zoo. If it's a girl's day out, we may hit some of the great, local boutiques...The Box Turtle or Steamroller Blues in the Heights, followed by some ice cream. I make it a priority to shop as local as possible... easy to accomplish, considering with the wide variety of quality local places in Little Rock. My kids are also involved in sports, so depending on the season, we may be on a field or court on a Saturday.
5. Finish this sentence: My perfect evening in Little Rock involves... finding a venue with a great band....Verizon Arena, The Rev Room, Juanita's, Stickyz. Little Rock offers several talented bands and artists, like Canvas, Barrett Baber or The Just Sayin' Band with Gerry Smith on drums. If I'm with a group, we may even want to hit the dance floor if DJ King (my brother) is DJing at Deep or the Train Station. If a babysitter isn't available, then you can never go wrong with a good movie while cuddled with the kids at our home in Midtown.
Listen to Ashley and co-host Drew Mitchell on The Point 94.1, Weekdays from 6-10 a.m.