Born and raised in Kenya, Shamim Okollah now makes her home in Little Rock and has brought a little bit of Africa to Arkansas with her handmade jewelry, bags and accessories.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Shamim Okolloh; CEO at Mimi Mwafrika -- I sell hand made fashion accessories and home goods from my hometown, Nairobi, Kenya; I've lived in Little Rock for three years; downtown.
2. What have been your three favorite recent style finds? I have a sweet 8 1/2-month-old son, so, as a first time mum, my recent favorite finds are all things cotton for baby clothing.
3. What is, hands down, your favorite meal you can only get in Little Rock? The lunch buffet at Taj Mahal. I've been to many Indian restaurants in the United States but only at Taj Mahal does the scent of the rich spices linger on in my fingers hours and hours later. Their dessert, Halwa, is a childhood favorite. Looking forward to an African restaurant in Little Rock opening up!
4. Finish this sentence: My perfect evening in Little Rock involves... a walk at the River Market. The lights, energy, movement, restaurants - a great way to people watch and get in a little exercise.
5. Where do you make sure to take out-of-town guests when they visit? I make sure to take them to the Clinton Presidential Library. I moved to Arkansas to attend the Clinton School of Public Service, so I take my family and friends there to be in the space of great Arkansas and global history.