The first time I met Ian Beard, he convinced me to take a 9-hour road trip to the Austin City Limits Festival with him and some other stranger. He had an answer for any objection I could possibly have had--No ticket? He had an extra. No place to stay? There was extra room where they were staying. I couldn't help drive because I couldn't drive a stick shift. Oh, but I did. So, when I found out Ian (along with three friends/partners) had started a Kickstarter campaign to fund a new brewery in Little Rock's MacArthur Park Historic District and had exceeded their goal by more than $10,000, I was not at all surprised. Ian Beard is a guy who gets things done.
1. Name, occupation, years in LR, neighborhood: Ian Beard; Co-owner Stone's Throw Brewing & Education Coordinator Old State House Museum; In Little Rock 8 years, Central Arkansas 14 years; Dunbar Historic District.
2. Tell me about your favorite local brews? There are few (craft) brews I've had that I just didn't like. My favorites are seasonal, so right now I'm really enjoying porters & stouts. Diamond Bear, Fossil Cove (out of Fayetteville), Core (out of Springdale), and Vino's are all making great examples of these styles, so I drink a lot of local stuff.
3. I know you're a big music fan. What do you think has been the best band to come out of Little Rock? Despite their Memphis HQ, I claim Ben Nichols of Lucero for Little Rock. Who else has such great songs about Starlite Diner (RIP), White Water Tavern, and the banks of the Arkansas AND still makes regular stops in town?
4. It's Sunday. What are you up to? During what seems like only a couple of Sundays a year that I'm not at kickball, I try and make the 11 am service at First United Methodist Church downtown and follow up with a beer and waffle brunch at Stone's Throw with the Waffle Wagon.
5. How would you describe LR to someone who has never been here? The right size to live in; the right distance from where you want to go.
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of LRKA, they are teaming with Stone's Throw Brewery to throw the Big Red Ball Home Brew contest. Enter your home brew or just grab a ticket and imbibe. All proceeds from this evening will benefit Our House. Click here for more info.